This simple salad has been a favorite among family and friends since one of my favorite people in the world shared it with me. A big thank you to the one and only, Sissi for this recipe (as well as many others). It is easy to make this in large quantities and is actually better when made the day before serving. This makes it a wonderful dish for a brunch or any party.
Chicken Salad with Noodles, Mandarin Oranges and Tarragon Vinaigrette
- 4 lbs. chicken breast
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 3 cans mandarin oranges
- 5 pkgs chicken flavor Ramon noodles
- 8 scallions chopped
- ½ cup tarragon vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cook chicken breasts by either boiling or baking until fully cooked. Set aside and let cool.
- Combine dressing ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place nuts on a cookie sheet in a 350°F oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Watch closely as they burn very easily.
- Chop chicken into approximately 1½ inch chunks
- Cook noodles according to package instructions. (Do not add seasoning packets or the dish will be too salty.)
- In a large bowl combine cooked noodles, chopped chicken, 2/3 of nut mixture, chopped scallions and 2 cans of oranges.
- Pour dressing over noodle mixture. Wash hands well and use hands to toss salad ingredients together.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Place salad on a platter and garnish with the remaining nuts and 1 can of mandarin oranges.