I used my Williams Sonoma Piecrust Cutters to make the top pretty. My leaves are from the Fall Thanksgiving Pack.
Here is the link for the current Williams Sonoma Cutters:
This pie is very easy and looks much more complicated than it really is.
Isn’t that really the key to baking? It all looks like you worked all day even when you were able to throw it together in a few minutes.
Apple Pie with Crunch Top – Paula Deen
Dough and Filling:
- Dough for a double crust 9-inch pie (homemade, frozen, or refrigerated)
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash salt
- 3 ½ cups peeled, chopped cooking apples
- 16-ounces unsweetened applesauce (NOTE: use only 12 oz for thicker pie)
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons butter, chopped into small pieces
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Dash salt
- Tablespoon butter, at room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2. Line a 9-inch pie pan with half of dough.
3. Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
4. Stir in apples, applesauce, and lemon juice.
5. Spoon apple mixture into pie pan and dot with butter.
6. Cut remaining crust into strips; arrange in a lattice design over top of pie.
7. For crunch topping, combine flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl.
8. Using a fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
9. Sprinkle over top of crust.
10. Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for about 45 minutes, or until crust and topping are golden brown.